[SATLUG] OT: A windows proxy Internet connection ?(way OT)

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue May 27 16:52:59 CDT 2008

I am not sure that I understand the entire setup, but you can
prioritize the interfaces via the Advanced | Advanced Settings menu in
the Explore network connections.  This will take a broad stroke, by
defaulting to your preference "most used" interface.

Beyond that, you can route via the `route` command so that certain
hosts/subnets are routed in the way that you want.  Since routing is
done at the OS level, not the app level (Usually, but AFAIK Firefox
and IE do not do route selection).  I have not heard of a multiple,
simultaneous, proxy config for Firefox, but that would be one way to
do it.  It is reasonably straight forward to choose which URLs are
proxied and not, but I assume that you are looking for more granular
control: like the following:

Connection 1 (non-work):
Google, Pandora, free.fm, cnn, etc

Connection 2 (work):
intra.net, web-email,  etc.

In order for the app to route like that (IP is supposed to be
transparent to the App), it would need to interface with the OS, or
have a setup that allows for dynamic routing (Proxies on each network,
with url specific configuration capabilities)

I would love for others to chime in (despite the OT nature), and this
could easily be On-topic if the question were modified:  How would you
accomplish this on Linux?

This will require some thought, as I am not sure how to accomplish
this in a non-hackish manner.

jp