[SATLUG] Video conferencing with DV camcorder & firewire

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed May 28 06:51:44 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM, John Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 14:29:39 Jeremy Mann wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:40 AM, John Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and info. We've decided not to stream live, but rather to
> record the instructor and stream those videos, after encoding to a sane
> resolution and format. This way the instructor can preview what they end up
> broadcasting.
>
> I was able to have some success with dvgrav and then streaming with vlc. But
> after experimenting, it seems best to reencode the video... abandoning the
> raw dv or raw avi at 720x480. I'll try some more tomorrow, but now my brain
> is tired.

Raw dv is just way too big to do anything with. You have the right
idea by reencoding it to another format. May I suggest Flash Video?
I've done this in the past for guest lecturers on campus. Record to
DV, dump to my Mac with dvgrab, then encode to flv using ffmpeg. Then
you can embed the flv file in a webpage and you have web accessible,
flash content that you can easily share. If interested I can give you
the steps to make this happen.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu