Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Wed May 28 07:53:41 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 13:15 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>  Personally, I would like
> to see a major gaming houses (other then id Software) begin to release
> native Linux versions of their games concurrently with the M$ versions.
> When this begins to occur I will be convinced of Linux having any sort
> of impact upon the gamer arena; outside of the game servers of course.
> Till then its suffer with wine or dual boot a wintendo and suffer with
> M$.

So would all the Mac gamers out there. Honestly, I think you'll see this
happen sooner on the Mac than on Linux. Contrary to what the people here
think, Linux is an extremely obscure operating system, used by very
computer literate people and their families. Not only that, but we don't
like to pay for software. Those two reasons alone are enough for large
game companies to stay away, and when you combine those with the fact
that PC gamning is already in decline thanks to the success of the
console market, things just don't look for Linux gaming.

If you really want to run games on a Linux box, buy yourself a PS3 and
load Yellow Dog or Ubuntu on it. Then you get the best of both worlds.
Wishing for Rockstar to port GT4 to Linux is just fools dream.

~Nate