[SATLUG] DOCSIS III

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:24:26 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 04:33 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:
> Europe had less to work with.
> It is also true that European governments believe in following the
> will of the people more.
> That is why a European cell phone rings in the USA and you only pay
> for the minutes in calls you initiate. Not for minutes when someone
> calls you.

That may be true for cell phones, but they have to pay for all their
minutes on land lines. Their phone system, at least in Germany, was
built on an ISDN infrastructure. That's why they were so quick to get
broadband in the first place. They weren't limited by the old copper
wiring that we have/had here in the states. In areas where you have
fiber to the home, the only bandwidth limit is that which is set by
AT&T.

~Nate