Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:12:28 CDT 2008

I agree with you on a few levels.  While I am a pretty heavy gamer, 98% of
my gaming is done on consoles (360 and PS3) for one very simple reason:
compatibility.  I know that when I plop down my $600 on a console, every
single game that comes out for that console from launch to EOL will run on
it without any modifications (expensive upgrades) to the console.  (There
are a minuscule amount of exceptions to this rule but less than 1%)  The
online communities like XBOX Live can't be beat, and the plethora of titles
and genres is unmatched.  I rarely use a PC to game unless I am playing old
game ROMs on an emulator, generics like tetris/solitaire or some MMORPG that
is PC only (and I hate this.)  There have been ports of MMORPGs to console,
but because of the large amount of interaction via keyboard, it's kind of
impractical to go this route.  Once we are able to overcome the keyboard
issue with MMORPGs (as in go all voice-based other than controls with the
controller), then I will be a happy camper.

One thing I will also point out is that consoles and HTPCs are converging on
eachother.  With the media center connectivity built into the 360, you can
stream movies, music and pictured wirelessly to your living room from your
PC.  (The same is possible for PS3 with a little more work.)  I use a VM
with windows on it to stream my netflix on-demand movies to my 360 and watch
them in the living room.  For all intents and purposes, you really don't
need anything else connected to your TV than a good console (unless you want
cable which sucks anyway.)  The day is not far away when XBOX Live and PS3
Online will both offer everything you can possibly want to see/hear through
an online service.  They are both already doing this in a limited capacity,
but I have a feeling that the whole pie is coming soon.  The way I see it,
if I can get my netflix movies on-demand, the History/Discover/Travel/Sci-Fi
channels and some network channels (for the biased media and all), I would
dump cable.  Having the ability to run Linux on it (like I do with my PS3)
is icing on the cake.

Every year, there are several articles published about the 'death of PC
gaming.'  I don't think PC gaming will ever die, but it is shriveling more
every year.  That's perfectly fine with me.  I think it will reach a point
where the development process will be truly cross-platform, and writing code
once (and compiling by platform) will be good enough to run on all consoles
and PC.  At this point, the game manufacturers will offer the PC versions
since there is no loss involved, but I think their main focus will always be
consoles.  When the 360 came out, it wasn't the technical specs that caught
my eye, it was the media center possibilities that did.  The games were what
sealed the deal for me.  It always has been, and always will be about the
games.  If consoles attract the sole attention of the game manufacturers,
the PC market will continue to shrivel until it is a fraction of what it
once was.  We'll see what happens over the next 2 or 3 years.