Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed May 28 11:40:57 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 07:53 -0500, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 13:15 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> >  Personally, I would like
> > to see a major gaming houses (other then id Software) begin to release
> > native Linux versions of their games concurrently with the M$ versions.
> > When this begins to occur I will be convinced of Linux having any sort
> > of impact upon the gamer arena; outside of the game servers of course.
> > Till then its suffer with wine or dual boot a wintendo and suffer with
> > M$.
>
> So would all the Mac gamers out there. Honestly, I think you'll see this
> happen sooner on the Mac than on Linux. Contrary to what the people here
> think, Linux is an extremely obscure operating system, used by very
> computer literate people and their families. Not only that, but we don't
> like to pay for software. Those two reasons alone are enough for large
> game companies to stay away, and when you combine those with the fact
> that PC gamning is already in decline thanks to the success of the
> console market, things just don't look for Linux gaming.
>
> If you really want to run games on a Linux box, buy yourself a PS3 and
> load Yellow Dog or Ubuntu on it. Then you get the best of both worlds.
> Wishing for Rockstar to port GT4 to Linux is just fools dream.
>

> ~Nate

I would have to agree with you.  That said I would qualify you "linux is
an obscure OS" to that of the united states.  Go to any other continent
other then North America and you are much more likely to find fellow
Linux Users.  This is especially true in Europe and South America.
Remember is most things cultural America tends to lag behind Europe as
the economy continues to tank in the US the cost of Linux will begin to
appeal to more and more people in the US.  by about 10 to  as the
economy continues to tank in the US the cost of Linux will begin to
appeal to more and more people in the US. 20 years.

Personally I think that the future of games and linux lies with mmorpgs
(mmorpgs offer a profit motive that doesn't necessarily depend upon
proprietary software model) Games such as Regnum online (native linux
client and server) and Eve (although its not a native linux client its
servers are Linux).  That said when one compares the visuals of a of say
DX10 game to that of OpenGL. there is no comparison.  DX10 (as much as I
hate to admit it) is far superior to OpenGL.

Todd