[SATLUG] Convert to Flash video

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed May 28 14:40:58 CDT 2008

I've been asked for instructions how to convert any video file to a
streamable Flash video file, so I thought I'd post here in case
anybody else wants the information.

How do I use it? Once a month or so, we have a guest lecturer
sponsored by our department. I'm always asked to record the lecture
for the researchers who can't make it. Previously I was converting to
MPEG1 and providing the MPG file on our website, but I found Flash to
be easier, smaller size and more compatible for all platforms.

I use Kino to dump from the camera and edit the file, then I convert
to Xvid. That doesn't take long, I have a fast computer ;) I convert
to Xvid avi first because sometimes ffmpeg gets the audio synced wrong
going directly from raw DV to FLV.

When I have the finished AVI file I use ffmpeg to convert to a flv file:

ffmpeg -i input.avi -ar 22050 -ab 32 -f flv output.flv

To resize the output to a smaller size use:

ffmpeg -i input.avi -ar 22050 -ab 32 -s 320x240 -f flv output.flv

I then use FlowPlayer (http://flowplayer.org) to put a nice overlay on
it ala YouTube style complete with Start/Pause and FF/RW buttons.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility