Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:16:25 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 13:05:58 pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:

> And since MS owns OpenGL, it will probably stay that way. Every once in
> a while MS does something right.
>

> ~Nate

If you can provide some sort of proof to back that claim up, I'd really like
to see it. If that can be proved to be true, I'll shut up :)

Microsoft has used opengl before, as any developer is free to do, but I've
never heard of them 'owning' or 'acquiring' it. Since the development of
Direct3D, opengl has been considered a competitor.

From what I can tell, OpenGL is still controlled by Khronos Group. Microsoft
is not listed as a member, promoter, or contributor of Khronos Group.
http://www.khronos.org
http://www.opengl.org

Microsoft did use opengl in Windows NT and Windows2000, mostly for
screensavers (pipes was opengl years ago), but in more recent years even
those were converted to Direct3D.