Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Wed May 28 17:15:53 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 15:03:23 pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 12:57 -0500, Geoff wrote:
> > I'm interested in finding out where one could acquire the software for
> > the multitude of games on those coin-operated, bar-top video gaming
> > devices.   Ever see one boot up?  Basically, it's RedHat Linux, with a
> > touch-screen.
>
> It's running MAME, an emulator for old video game hardware. Once you get
> that running, though, you'll need to track down all the ROMs for each
> individual game you want to play. And it's not exactly legal to get ROMs
> off the interwebs. There are many out there, but it takes some looking
> and looking to find them.
>
> And no, I don't have any. But I would do just about anything to get my
> hands on BurgerTime, though. I loved that game.
>

> ~Nate

Not MAME... he's referring to the little bartop game machines, often on a
swivel-base mounted to the counter in a bar, sports bar, pizza joint etc.....
not the old school coin ops like pacman etc. These ones present a menu for
which games to play and a timer depending on how many coins get inserted.
Some of the games featured include movie and sports trivia, tetris-like
games, strip poker, memory image-matchup games etc. All with a touch screen
interface.

John