Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Wed May 28 22:37:37 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 18:54:24 Al Castanoli wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 16:16 -0500, John Choate wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 May 2008 13:05:58 pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> > > And since MS owns OpenGL, it will probably stay that way. Every once in
> > > a while MS does something right.
> > >
> > > ~Nate
> >
> > If you can provide some sort of proof to back that claim up, I'd really
> > like to see it. If that can be proved to be true, I'll shut up :)
>
> In the rest of John's message, it appears the above ambiguous statement
> means "prove MS owns OpenGL" rather than "prove every once in a while MS
> does something right."
>
> But being a contrarian, I prefer the former anticedant for "proof to
> back that claim up".  MS Xenix circa 1985 was such a good UNIX for PC
> operating system, it was licensed to SCO and launched a pretty good
> server OS for its day, at least until Caldera bought SCO and they lost
> their minds.  I still use a PS2 type MS natural keyboard for the
> Scientific Linux control server at my desk, and the wireless MS mouse
> I'm using fits my hand better than the Logitech ones I've tried.
>
> I don't have windows running on any of my own computers, and resent
> having a windows PC at work to use VPN clients to my labs, but in my
> experience, sometimes MS does do something right.
>
> Al Castanoli

I should have been more specific. I was referring to the ownership of OpenGL.
I didn't mean to 'prove that every once in a while MS does something right'.

 Nice to know of Xenix. I was mostly computer clueless in the 80's except for
the small amount of Tandy Basic I learned on the TRS-80 models II and III in
6th grade in 1981-1982.
Though I am not comfortable with the split keyboard design, I agree regarding
the quality of the MS Natural keyboard. I took a friends' apart once to clean
it and it was well built. Now my KB is a Saitek Eclipse II... love the
back-lit keys and the variable brightness with 3-color modes. Now I can turn
the lights dim while gaming and still read the keys.
As far as mice go, I'm a die-hard for the Logitech full-sized ones... never
found a MS one that was comfortable for me, especially for playing games.
MS does do things right from time to time. I'm not a fan of the Windows OS,
but I do crack an honest smile when I receive a computer to repair/tweak and
find it to be running Win2k Pro. That was MS's best Windows OS IMHO.