[SATLUG] They just love to create new reasons for consumers to migrate to linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:13:33 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:20 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> ran across this on the EFF site today.  don't they realize that they are
> only hurting themselves with this stuff.
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05/microsofts-masters-whose-rules-does-your-media-cen

I don't understand what the problem is here. NBC has put into place
technology that flags their content as unrecordable and one of their
technology partners has honored that flag. Proprietary technology for
proprietary television content. Both companies are free to do as they
please with what they own. NBC does it to send people to their Hulu.com
site where people can watch NBC content, MS does it to protect an
alliance with NBC.

There is no "there" there. This is just business. I think the
misconception is that somehow people think that the content on
television is for them when in fact it is not. The only reason there are
television programs is for the broadcaster to make money. The more
successful the show, the more people watch, the more $$$ they make on
advertising. That's the only reason broadcasters are in the business, to
make money.

NBC doesn't owe you anything, and you don't have a "right" to have a
copy of the content they broadcast. If that bothers you then find
another place to be entertained.

~Nate