[SATLUG] They just love to create new reasons for consumers to migrate to linux

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Thu May 29 11:58:57 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 09:13 -0500, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:20 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> > ran across this on the EFF site today.  don't they realize that they are
> > only hurting themselves with this stuff.
> >
> > http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05/microsofts-masters-whose-rules-does-your-media-cen
>

> I don't understand what the problem is here. NBC has put into place
> technology that flags their content as unrecordable and one of their
> technology partners has honored that flag. Proprietary technology for
> proprietary television content. Both companies are free to do as they
> please with what they own. NBC does it to send people to their Hulu.com
> site where people can watch NBC content, MS does it to protect an
> alliance with NBC.
>
> There is no "there" there. This is just business. I think the
> misconception is that somehow people think that the content on
> television is for them when in fact it is not. The only reason there are
> television programs is for the broadcaster to make money. The more
> successful the show, the more people watch, the more $$$ they make on
> advertising. That's the only reason broadcasters are in the business, to
> make money.
>
> NBC doesn't owe you anything, and you don't have a "right" to have a
> copy of the content they broadcast. If that bothers you then find
> another place to be entertained.
>

> ~Nate

Nate you are absolutely right however, I think that you missed my point.
Regardless of whether or not someone has the right (whatever that really
means) to do something (like record NBC shows) often one wants to
anyway.  If I as a consumer want to record my fav NBC show it was no
problem with the old VHS. However m$ technology took away what we
previously took for granted; the ability to record what ever show we
wanted for personal use. Just because M$ has sought to limit this
previously and widely had freedom does not rid one of the desire to copy
said show off the NBC network.  A person who is thus restricted will
then seek other avenues to accomplish what he/she wants; like say
MythTV, which suffers no such restrictions.  This inevitably will
contribute to the shrinking popularity of M$; of course how much it will
contribute remains to be seen.  It is however, yet another reason to
dump winblows.

Todd