Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:14:01 CDT 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008 08:08:17 pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> naged by the Khronos Group
> (whoever that is). I was one of the people that, many years ago, read
> the Register article about the agreement between SGI and MS and thought
> that meant that MS now owns OpenGL. I was wrong, MS paid SGI to purchase
> certain undisclosed rights on 3D graphics so that they could avoid
> infringing on SGI patents with their Xbox.

No problem, I was just wondering where the ownership claim came from...
I read that article also... apparently Microsoft not only purchased some of
the technology from SGI, around the same time they also believed they had
rights to some opengl extensions that they had nothing to do with.

I've always preferred opengl to direct3d, even if I was missing out on some
new eye candy. OpenGL games always seemed to render objects so they ended up
looking solid, while direct3d objects always seemed thin and 'hollow' to me.