[SATLUG] Kubuntu newb install

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:21:12 CDT 2008

Joe Miller wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I've never tried Linux before (how many times have you heard that one?), so I thought I'd get some input from you before I do this. I have a DVD with an iso install for Kubuntu, along with some other stuff, including wifi chillispot. I will be using a Dell w/ Win2000 that I want to overwrite. I guess I'm supposed to boot from the DVD, so do I just change the boot order to DVD?

Kubuntu is usually on a CD but I suppose the ISO file could be as easily
burned to a DVD once you've downloaded it.  Did you burn this one
yourself?  Booting up with it doesn't commit you to installing it, it's
a live CD(DVD) which runs in your RAM.  Power the computer down, open
the drive with a straightened paper clip, drop in the disk, close the
drive and power it up.

I recommend you try several distros via live media before making a
decision about which to install.  I assume you've done enough research
to decide you'll probably prefer KDE since you're starting with Kubuntu
(that, at least, is why I started with Kubuntu) in which case you might
also consider trying PCLinuxOS and the KDE version of Fedora.

Enjoy your Linux adventure.