[SATLUG] Kubuntu newb install

Don Wright wmail at wricomp.com
Thu May 29 16:07:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:21:12 -0500, Don Crowder <donguitar at gmail.com> wrote:

>Kubuntu is usually on a CD but I suppose the ISO file could be as easily
>burned to a DVD once you've downloaded it.

Most of the Ubuntu family projects offer both live CD and live DVD images
for download. The DVDs have more packages ready to use, but you might have
to search a bit for the images, especially during the first weeks after
release. There are also alternate install (not live) images for use on
headless servers and other cases where a live CD would be inappropriate.

All these are generally offered in both x86 (i486 and higher) and x86-64
(AMD and Intel 64-bit) forms, plus PowerPC, for a minimum of 9 images per
project. Kubuntu added a KDE4 variant this time (4 discs), so that's 13 for
them, leading to about 31 discs of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu to choose

Which is why speaking of "the ISO file" is so funny.  --Don