[SATLUG] They just love to create new reasons for consumers to migrate to linux

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri May 30 01:39:55 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2008, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
>> NBC doesn't owe you anything, and you don't have a "right" to have a copy
>> of the content they broadcast. If that bothers you then find another place
>> to be entertained.
> not to put too fine a point on it, and on a cable delivered content stream,
> OK.
> But for content delivered over the air waves, under a usage license granted
> by the FCC on behalf of its assumed owners (you and I collectively), adding
> such a non-mandated restriction may be going too far.  I suspect it is an
> open question however.
> but then the real answer is easier; tv rots the mind.  turn it off ;)
> -- Russ herrold
> --

I thought the legal position of the "Content Owners", i.e., the
networks or producers who pay the networks to air it, was that the
assumed owners (you and I collectively) own the infrastructure the
Content is carried on or delivered by? Not the Content.
I seem to remember then Senator McCain (now Presidential candidate)
turning very red in the face from anger when the networks informed him
of this when they refused to relinquish "Use Rights" to this
infrastructure for non-compliance with the government lease terms.
It got really complicated legally but I was amazed at the arrogance of
the networks.
They were barely second to the telcos.