Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri May 30 02:14:54 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM, pixelnate at gmail.com
<pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:14 -0500, John Choate wrote:
>> I've always preferred opengl to direct3d, even if I was missing out on some
>> new eye candy. OpenGL games always seemed to render objects so they ended up
>> looking solid, while direct3d objects always seemed thin and 'hollow' to me.
>
> Yeah, but Direct3D has some nifty effects available for developers
> (pixel shaders, particles, etc.). MS does a great job with DirectX. At
> least from an end user perspective. The games on the PC are so much
> better, graphically, than those on the console. I guess that's why I
> never got into console gaming.
>
> While I prefer not to use Windows for work, IMHO there just isn't a
> better gaming platform.
>

> ~Nate
>
> --

MS$ actually does some good stuff. The best is in the applications
area which was the intent all along.
Bill Gates was much more of an applications guy than an OS guy.
C# seems to be making progress as a standard language thanks to MS$
opening it with the Rotor project, now known as the Shared Source
Common Language Infrastructure (SSCLI), and Ximian porting it with the
Mono project.
The thing that irritates most people is the fact that most MS$ product
is closed. I don't like it. I believe in free.
Sort of like buying a Ferrari or Porsche and finding the hood welded
shut. Only access ports to engine maintenance areas.
Interesting enough, vintage Rolls-Royce's engines were sealed. You
could open the hood but not work on or modify the engine.