Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:05:58 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 02:14 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:
> MS$ actually does some good stuff. The best is in the applications
> area which was the intent all along.
> Bill Gates was much more of an applications guy than an OS guy.
> C# seems to be making progress as a standard language thanks to MS$
> opening it with the Rotor project, now known as the Shared Source
> Common Language Infrastructure (SSCLI), and Ximian porting it with the
> Mono project.

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Mono, but for some people it's the bees
knees. Better to have choice than not to.

> The thing that irritates most people is the fact that most MS$ product
> is closed. I don't like it. I believe in free.
> Sort of like buying a Ferrari or Porsche and finding the hood welded
> shut. Only access ports to engine maintenance areas.
> Interesting enough, vintage Rolls-Royce's engines were sealed. You
> could open the hood but not work on or modify the engine.

Honestly, if you can afford a Ferrari or a Porsche, you probably know
nothing about rebuilding the engine in your car. If it is a Ferrari or
Rolls, then you really shouldn't be messing with it either. There was an
author (who's name escapes me) who wrote a story about how Windows was
like a station wagon with the hood welded shut and the Macintosh was a
sports car with it's hood welded shut, and linux was like a tank where
everything was accessible to work on. The thing is you have to know how
to maintain a tank if you plan on using one.

I like my tank. The corners aren't overly rounded and it's not plastered
with bits of fake metal texture, but sometimes the problem I am trying
to solve requires a sports car or station wagon. Tanks are ill-suited
for going to the grocery store.

~Nate