[SATLUG] How to post an email

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:59:31 CDT 2008

> Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:07:47 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SATLUG] How to post an email
>        <satlug at satlug.org>
>
> When starting a new topic, do *not* just "reply" and change the subject line.
> Us Compose or New or whatever your mail client uses to generate a new message.
>
> Recently we have has several "threads" that have gone on for more than 60
> messages.  For instance the thread that started as "Fedora 9" got changed to:
>
>   Re: [OT] [SATLUG] chris taking a "list break"
>
> and then
>
>   Re: Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9,
>
> That thread has reached 66 messages.  This is really cumbersome for those that
> have threaded mail readers.
>
> There is nothing wrong with replying to a message with on topic comments, but
> going on and on with a single thread when the topic changes comes across as
> thoughtless and/or ignorant.
>
> Also, if you don't like a thread, *do not reply under any circumstances*.
> Threads die if nobody responds.  Saying that you don't like a thread continuing
> on that thread is self defeating.
>
>   -- Bruce

Bruce, what advice do you have for those who read in
digest form?  I try to:
1. Use Gmail's "reply to"
2. Copy the subject from the appropriate post
3. Remove all the unwanted posts and overhead
4. Write my reply and send it

Anything else?

BTW,   THANKS  for all the work you put into maintaining
our list!

Howard
--
Howard Haradon