Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri May 30 10:23:13 CDT 2008

I really like that analogy....I never thought of it as a tank.  You're also
right about picking things suited to a specific task.  I am no fan of
Microsoft for a multitude of reasons, but I do love the fact that because of
their incompetence, lack of innovation and general mediocrity, I make an
insane profit supporting their enterprise product line.  In that light, I
absolutely refused to touch Vista until about a month ago (aside from the
betas and RCs prior to RTM.)  It is still a bloated turd of an OS, but I
know that eventually I will need to support it in some shape or form.  I've
already run into this with Linux based filers and Vista/Office 2007
incompatibilities.  For many things, Windows will do just fine just as Linux
will do just fine.  It's a matter of getting a task accomplished efficiently
and promptly.  I bought my girlfriend a new iMac for Christmas, and tinkered
around on it here and there for about 2 weeks - haven't touched it since.
While she may like them for asthetic reasons, I would never buy one for
myself.  They are severely over priced and do absolutely nothing that I
can't do with Linux installed on cheap PC hardware (based on my normal
workflow.)  The trend is heading toward the OS becoming almost irrelevant,
so in the near future, things like aesthetics and customization will become
more important than the technology itself.  It's sad to see that happen.