Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:09:07 CDT 2008

the way it was described to me many many years ago when i was working
with Linux from Scratch.

Windows was a red passenger sedan.  If you didn't like red, didn't
carry passengers or needed to haul something, or wanted to add a
custom radio, you were SOL.

Mac OS was a bit more like a luxury sedan with leather seats, all the
trimmings, but still had some quirky parts in it that infuriated some
users.  While you could repaint the car, the seats were still only
leather, and couldn't be changed out.  Hell in the summer. :P

Linux is a bit of a different story.  Linux is like a car dealership.
You could go up and down the aisles and find the vehicle that best
suited you.   Each vehicle though has it's good sides and it's bad
sides.  Each vehicle is customizable to the needs of the user and can
be made to work on any surface, (paved road, rough terrain, fliers,
etc..) although getting the vehicle to that point, usually required
some amount of knowledge and a bit of alcohol.

You have your offroad vehicles, embedded distros (like puppy and
damnsmalllinux).  While technically not a car, they did come ready to
run, with smooth suspension and a small but capable engine and could
get to places that cars just can't go. They had the flexibility to add
additional hardware to the frame that allowed you to extend the
functionality of the vehicle beyond transportation.

Of course, you have your regular passenger cars, however these come in
a variety of colors, shapes and sizes.  (Fedora 9 (does this make the
title legit now?), SuSE, Ubuntu, Mandrake, etc..) While stock, they
weren't suited for heavy duty hauling,  nothing was preventing you
from bolting something on and making it tow something.  Wanted to
strip down the chassis, and replace the 4 cylinder with a V8, you
could do it in these cars.

Then you have the  true workhorses, the 18wheelers.  These are the
server distributions (RHEL, Ubuntu-server, others....), Not really
suited for passenger vehicles, but ideal for long-haul trips or trips
with an extraordinarily heavy load.  They usually shipped with an
engine that was fine tuned to deliver as much horsepower to the tires
and made sure the truck stayed on the road.  Some of these big server
distros even go so far as leave the automotive world entirely and go
into the military.

The Tank distributions are not designed for passenger use at all, they
can be customized, but are primarialy designed for security.  SELinux
comes to mind. Granted you *could* use a tank to go to the grocery
store, but chances are you'd rather not.

And finally you get to LFS (Linux from Scratch.)  LFS isn't a vehicle.
 It's a box containing an engine rebuild kit, a transmission, some
steel tubing for a frame of some sort, a couple of tires and a 500
page detailed installation manual.  (Chilton eat your heart out...) .
The idea was that you provide the engine you wanted (kernel source),
built the frame to your specifications ( filesystem, some libraries
not already provided) and were able to add whatever you wanted into
the making of the car as the build progressed.  You could end up with
a tank that seats 6 or a moped that could tow a 50ft trailer and
whatever crazy mis-mash of vehicle that your mind dreamed up.  You had
the entire parts list in the manual and no end of places where you
could go get the parts to build your creation.  Frankencars to the
extreme.

Hope y'all enjoyed that. :)  I've used this explanation when someone
asked me about 'which distro is right' and so far everyone has
understood..

FIRESTORM_v1

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:05 AM, pixelnate at gmail.com