[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Fri May 30 12:35:21 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If Linux can win over enough Ubuntu users (seems to be where they are all going when switching to Linux), then M$ would have to compete with opengl, and with all the users support and demand, opengl could improve greatly. 2 of the major video card chip manufactures have gone open source, and I believe the third one, nvidia is going to be forced to go open source if they don't want to lose out on Linux users. Even though Linux makes a small percentage of users, it's still billions. Almost each household has at least one computer.

Just couldn't resist a reply.  Ubuntu IS linux, just like Redhat,
SuSE, etc.  And I think that therein lies the problems with putting
out mainstram games for linux.  There are entirely way too many
distros for the game companies to consider put out games for.  Their
only option would be to put release their games for a few mainstream
distros such as Debian, Redhat, and SuSE with no guarantees or support
unless a specific kernel version is met and specific libraries.  While
the Linux community has made it easy and provided a wide range of
distros, they've, in turn, made it hard for software companies to make
products and make it work on all the Linux distros out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed