Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:21:15 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really like that analogy....I never thought of it as a tank.  You're also
> right about picking things suited to a specific task.  I am no fan of
> Microsoft for a multitude of reasons, but I do love the fact that because of
> their incompetence, lack of innovation and general mediocrity, I make an
> insane profit supporting their enterprise product line.  In that light, I
> absolutely refused to touch Vista until about a month ago (aside from the
> betas and RCs prior to RTM.)  It is still a bloated turd of an OS, but I
> know that eventually I will need to support it in some shape or form.  I've
> already run into this with Linux based filers and Vista/Office 2007
> incompatibilities.  For many things, Windows will do just fine just as Linux
> will do just fine.  It's a matter of getting a task accomplished efficiently
> and promptly.  I bought my girlfriend a new iMac for Christmas, and tinkered
> around on it here and there for about 2 weeks - haven't touched it since.
> While she may like them for asthetic reasons, I would never buy one for
> myself.  They are severely over priced and do absolutely nothing that I
> can't do with Linux installed on cheap PC hardware (based on my normal
> workflow.)  The trend is heading toward the OS becoming almost irrelevant,
> so in the near future, things like aesthetics and customization will become
> more important than the technology itself.  It's sad to see that happen.

Have you looked at a product like Vlite.com for Vista? Does it have any value?

[Original source]
Free utility condenses Windows Vista from 15GB to 1.4GB. I don't
recommend using Vista, but if you must, read this wonderful story from
Computerworld.

January 30, 2008 (Computerworld) A Croatian college student has
created a utility that installs a seriously stripped-down Windows
Vista, saying the heft of Microsoft Corp.'s biggest desktop operating
system is just too big to believe.
"Who can justify a 15GB operating system?" asked Dino Nuhagic, a
fifth-year student from Split, a Croatian city on the Adriatic. Not
Nuhagic, or the uncounted users who have turned to his creation,
vLite.
The free program lets users pick and choose which Vista components,
hot fixes, drivers and even language packs are installed, then builds
a disk image that can be burned to a DVD for unattended installation
of the operating system.

"Why did I do it? Well, it's performance and work environment,"
Nuhagic said when asked why he came up with vLite. "Performance,
that's easy to explain. The less things running, the more responsive
the OS. But the environment part is where it gets down to personal
preference."
Those preferences include options for leaving out virtually every
component of Windows Vista, from the minor -- such as the bundled
screensavers -- to the major, such as the firewall or Universal Plug
and Play.
Some vLite users, in fact, have made it a contest of sorts to come up
with the puniest-possible installation package for the operating
system. While Microsoft recommends that users set aside 15GB of
hard-disk space to install its pride and joy, Nuhagic's fans boast of
squeezing it into an image file as small as 515MB that takes up just
1.4GB on the hard drive.

One user reported condensing Windows Vista Home Basic into a 526MB
.iso file and installing it in a virtual machine that used just 1.3GB
of drive space. "It worked well inside the virtual machine and since I
have 1GB of RAM on the host I guess the little Vista would work well,"
said amocanu.
Nuhagic didn't come right out and say it, but he hinted that he --
like more critical users and pundits -- thought Vista was bloated and
could use some reducing. "To be frank, I don't need 90% of Windows.
But that 10%, which guarantees that you can run [the] majority of
games out there, is what is worth isolating."

Crafting vLite wasn't easy, he said. But the time Nuhagic spent on its
predecessor, nLite, which similarly squeezes Windows 2000 and Windows
XP, paid off in spades. "Since I had four years of experience with
tampering [with] older Windows, it was a lot easier than nLite,"
Nuhagic said of the development of vLite. "Also, it was easier than in
XP because Vista does not have the old-style installation. It doesn't
install components one by one, but simply extracts the image. Where XP
would fail during install because a certain file was missing, that
issue is not present in Vista."

Even though vLite features a simple graphical interface that lets
users remove a component with a click, Nuhagic warned that the utility
isn't designed for the average user: "Because of certain possible
compatibility issues with the programs out there [that] expect full
Windows, I'd recommend [it] only to users [that] want exactly that
kind of tool. In other words, I would not recommend it to someone who
installs their OS once every few years. But if you do it every few
months, then it's a must." ...

Microsoft knows of the tools -- Nuhagic said the company has contacted
him in the past about possible employment -- but it's done little to
quash the condensing. When asked whether it had any thoughts on vLite,
a company spokeswoman e-mailed a lukewarm warning.
"Microsoft does not recommend using any tool to strip out applications
from Windows Vista prior to installing it on your system, as it may
affect your ability to download future Windows Updates and Service
Packs, and may cause your system to become unstable," she said.
But vLite's users praised Nuhagic's efforts with blunter language.
"Thanks for spending your time making our OS less bloated," said one.

VLite 1.1 can be downloaded from Nuhagic's Web site.
http://www.vlite.net/index.html
[End original source]

The LFS for Windows Vista? Maybe the start of Knoppix
feature/functions for Vista?
If you are an Enterprise site you can already do this with tools from
Microsoft.
The SMB, SOHO and Personal Computing areas would need this most.
Having *.nix, Microsoft and Apple skills can certainly enhance your
job mobility.

[DISCLAIMER]
This email is not an endorsement of any Microsoft product.
It is aimed at possibly reducing the pain of administrators who will
have to deal with Vista and worse, which is yet to come.