[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:35:46 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu is not Linux.  Distribution != Kernel.  Linux is the kernel.  GNU is
> the rest of the stuff piled on top of the kernel (your distribution of
> choice.)  Just wanted to make that clear for anyone who might not know.
>
> Ernest
>
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Ed Coates <edcoates at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>> > If Linux can win over enough Ubuntu users (seems to be where they are all
>> going when switching to Linux), then M$ would have to compete with opengl,
>> and with all the users support and demand, opengl could improve greatly. 2
>> of the major video card chip manufactures have gone open source, and I
>> believe the third one, nvidia is going to be forced to go open source if
>> they don't want to lose out on Linux users. Even though Linux makes a small
>> percentage of users, it's still billions. Almost each household has at least
>> one computer.
>>
>> Just couldn't resist a reply.  Ubuntu IS linux, just like Redhat,
>> SuSE, etc.  And I think that therein lies the problems with putting
>> out mainstram games for linux.  There are entirely way too many
>> distros for the game companies to consider put out games for.  Their
>> only option would be to put release their games for a few mainstream
>> distros such as Debian, Redhat, and SuSE with no guarantees or support
>> unless a specific kernel version is met and specific libraries.  While
>> the Linux community has made it easy and provided a wide range of
>> distros, they've, in turn, made it hard for software companies to make
>> products and make it work on all the Linux distros out there.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>>
>> Ed
>> --

After evaluating many Desktop distros I have settled mainly on
Ubuntu/Kubuntu (one machine just to stay in touch) and PCLinuxOS
2007(KDE) and G2212 (Gnome) as my bread and butter OS.
The main reason is the excellent package systems these support. Not
only is the selection and availability of packages greater than any of
the other distros I have experience with, the package delivery system
is first class.
I have a token copy of FreeBSD running just in case they are able to
stay in the race.

Robert