[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat May 31 06:26:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Daniel J. Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:44:13 -0700
> "Ernest De Leon" <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu is not Linux.  Distribution != Kernel.  Linux is the kernel.
>> GNU is the rest of the stuff piled on top of the kernel (your
>> distribution of choice.)  Just wanted to make that clear for anyone
>> who might not know.
>>
>> Ernest
>
> <rant>
> *Sigh* Gnome is not GNU. KDE is not GNU. GNU is a set of applications
> that sit between the kernel and the applications we actually interact
> with majority of the time. This is an old, tired debate. Let's just
> call it ((Debian/Ubuntu|Red
> Hat|Gentoo|OpenSUSE|Novell|Arch|Mepis|PCLinuxOS)/(Gnome|XFCE)/Gtk+|KDE/Qt)/(X.org|Xfree86)/...)/GNU/Linux.

True.
It may just be that for some people there are other considerations.
IMHO, the PCLinuxOS KDE GUI is breath-taking as is the Ubuntu 8.04 Gnome GUI.
Eye candy does make a difference if all other features are about
equal. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The feature/function sets are not the same between KDE and Gnome.
Close but different.

Updates, upgrades and package availability plus the repository system
can make or break a distro for me.
I got really frustrated with openSUSE even though they are making some
good moves. Same for Fedora Core.
Going to the car analogy, I can remember having to adjust the
carburetors on my vintage Jaguar every morning to get it to start.
Sometimes adjusting them again at quitting time because the weather
changed. But I loved that car. It was a real driving experience.
I couldn't afford to do that if it had been 100 Jaguars driven by 100+
different people.

Distros BeleniX, Nexenta and Schillix are OpenSolaris based with a lot
of the same GNU/OpenSource packages as Linux.
On May 05, 2008 OpenSolaris 2008.05 was released. It can be booted as
a Live CD or installed directly. It uses the GNOME desktop environment
as the primary user interface. The release also includes the ZFS file
system, a filesystem with advanced snapshotting capabilities.
It's not Linux but a chance to use Dtrace and ZFS in the same distro?
Priceless...
I guess I am really an OpenSource Operating System guy.

> Alternatively, we could not start into yet another debate that does
> nothing but make people mad, drive some away, and discourage others
> from ever joining. It's nonproductive along with so many of the
> numerous off-topic, nonproductive "conversations"/ego-fests that have
> been going on over the last several months.

No interest in participating in any of the many spitting contests.

> Grow up kids. Remember why you're here. Think of the community and how
> your actions are contributing to it positively or negatively.

Maybe OpenSource OS info does not belong on a Linux mailing list?
Fair enough.
The Unix list I read thought these OpenSolaris based distros were all
Linux or of no interest.