[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat May 31 15:20:49 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:44 -0700, Ernest De Leon wrote:
> Ubuntu is not Linux.  Distribution != Kernel.  Linux is the kernel.  GNU is
> the rest of the stuff piled on top of the kernel (your distribution of
> choice.)  Just wanted to make that clear for anyone who might not know.

Actually, you are not completely right.  Linux is the kernel, and there
are a lot of utilities from GNU, but there is a bunch of other stuff
released under licenses other than the GPL on most Linux distros as
well.  Look at Apache - it's released under the terms of the ASL.  Look
at Sendmail - released under the terms of the Sendmail license.  There
are BSD licensed packages, CDDL (gulp) licensed packages, University of
Washington licenses, the list goes on and on and on.

The whole "It's Linux!" followed by "No, it's GNU/Linux" silliness just
cracks me up.  It's a distribution running the Linux kernel.  I don't
see any problem with using the general term "Linux" to describe it.

Thomas