[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 Help... (Please?)

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat Nov 1 16:12:45 CDT 2008

scs at worldlinkisp.com wrote:
>> I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 iso and I'm trying to install it on a computer
>> a friend and I cobbled up together from spare parts. Problem is I can't get
>> it to boot. Not from the CD, not from the HD, not even from an old Red Hat
>> floppy boot disk. What do I do?

> Does the computer boot at all, what are the BIOS options for booting ?
>
> Did you do a " md5sum " check on the download, and on the CD (if you burned it)?

Will, does the PS come on and continue to run?
    If not then unplug all connections except the power plug to the Mobo
and try again.
Do you see the BIOS splash screen in the preboot sequence?
    If not then your basic prob is either the bios chip, graphics card,
memory or Mobo.

    if you see the splash screen then see if you can see BIOS/CMOS and
check the boot sequence.

Let us know how far you get and would be nice to know what Mobo it is.
also best to try first start with single stick of Mem in bank 0 and only
graphics card in the Mobo.
herb