[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 Help... (Please?)

scs at worldlinkisp.com scs at worldlinkisp.com
Sat Nov 1 19:16:07 CDT 2008

>The computer boots fine, no problem getting into BIOS. I suspected the MBR
>on the HD was corrupt in some way. I had installed Red Hat on it fine a few
>months back. Then suddenly, it couldn't boot by itself, I had to have the
>install disk in the CD in order to boot. Now Red hat installs, but won't get
>out of installation. I swapped the HD out that one for another I had lying
>around on my workbench. Now I just need to get Windows 2K off the drive and
>Ubantu on. Is md5sum a data corruption check? I've never heard of this.
" md5sum " is a check sum of the original iso you downloaded and should  be
compared to the md5sum of the iso image that was burned, to make sure it's an
error free,  mirror image.  Suggest you Google " ubuntu howto md5sum "

You should be able to install Ubuntu right over your current Redhat on the HD,
 provided you have your partitions are correct.

Am not a Ubuntu user, so any uniqure particulars, or things to watchout for
will have come from someone else.

HTH  Lou