[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 Help... (Please?)

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 19:31:08 CDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Will Southworth <willisouth at gmail.com> wrote:
> The computer boots fine, no problem getting into BIOS. I suspected the MBR
> on the HD was corrupt in some way. I had installed Red Hat on it fine a few
> months back. Then suddenly, it couldn't boot by itself, I had to have the
> install disk in the CD in order to boot. Now Red hat installs, but won't get
> out of installation. I swapped the HD out that one for another I had lying
> around on my workbench. Now I just need to get Windows 2K off the drive and
> Ubantu on. Is md5sum a data corruption check? I've never heard of this.

Yes. Good Idea to run MD5SUM on all downloaded ISO files.
The K3b CD/DVD burning program checks this before burning.
You will need to download the MD5SUM file for the ISO. This is a small
text file.

The more common problem I have had is defective CD/DVD's for a number
of reasons.
I now run the "media check" at the start of the install everytime to
avoid bad installs.
The media has even failed after a successful install. Who knows?

If the MBR on a disk gets corrupted, then GRUB will not install
correctly and will not tell you.
My best "known to work everytime" solution is to use the disk
manufacturers tools and do a "low level" format on the disk and
re-initialize the MBR also. The MBR is usually a separate operation.

I've also had flaky disks that would be seen by the BIOS one time and
not the next.
Very frustrating.