[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 Help... (Please?)

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:01:15 CST 2008

I found at least one of the problems:  the old proprietary fglrx driver
is no longer available; the two that would work in a Linux/ATI
environment depend on OpenOffice, and they've (ATI) written their load
script incorrectly, calling for ooobasis_30_-us_en.  Problem is, the
script address should read: ooobasis_3.0_-us_en.  The load script burps,
and won't install /any/ video drivers (or try to load nVidia instead).
Apparently, nVidia users (new "nv" driver) also have the same issue.

The Ubuntu forums are full of distress and disappointment over this, but
nobody's answering the phones...   I'm back-stepping to 8.04 until the
problem is resolved.

Cheers;
Ed