[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 is presently trash...

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:13:29 CST 2008

What I found when trying to update my video drivers (ATI) from the
terminal in 8.10 is a two-fold problem:  First, apparently, the old
fglrx is gone for 8.10.  ATI now provides proprietary drivers, and an
install script, but that install script is all screwed-up.

For some odd reason the ATI driver install depends on OpenOffice 3.0.
Why that should be, I dunno, but, their install script can't locate
ooobasis30-*, and burps.  It should really be looking for
ooobasis3_._0-*.  I can see the running script error on the terminal
attempt to install (sudo sh ./filename.run --buildandinstallpkg
--dryrun), but dunno how to repair the script -- that's beyond my
current abilities...)

 So, instead, the upgrade loaded "nv" drivers (newest nVidia driver
install), which I can't use... (sigh)

Cheers...
Ed
(...happily back at Ubuntu 8.04 LTS...)