[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 is presently trash...

Greg Willden gwillden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 09:42:57 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:07 PM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any one else taking the 8.10 plunge?

I upgraded my backup machine to 8.10 (Kubuntu) at the same time that I
switched the motherboard and case.  The upgrade - using the old MB -
went fine.  Then I switched the MB and the only problem was the xorg
setup.  I simply did "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg".
This rewrote the xorg.conf file and everything works fine.  There was
some message about one audio driver not working so it fell back to a
different driver.  The sounds works so I'm fine with that.

I haven't been paying too much attention to Xorg development but that
xorg.conf file is just about empty now.  They have done a great job
getting proper auto-detection working in that code.  I had the same
machine hooked up to my 1920x1200 LCD at work and it looked great.  I
then took the box home and plugged it in to my 1280x1024 and it
adjusts and looks great again.  It was not very long ago that you had
to tweak a bunch of numbers in xorg.conf to get it to work with
different monitors like that.

This is my first exposure to KDE 4 and it is a little bit strange
right now.  I think it will grow on me and work out just fine.  It
sure is shiny and pretty.  I just had to learn how to move things
around in the taskbar and how the desktop widgets work.

Greg

--
To know recursion, you must first know recursion.