[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 is presently trash...

Greg Willden gwillden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:10:29 CST 2008

A continuing report...

I am having some odd problems with 8.10 and KDE 4.  I just powered on
the machine and some of the taskbar icons are missing.  I especially
noticed the K-menu was gone.  It was easy to replace it but that's a
bit weird.  That is on my spare home machine.

I also upgraded my spare work machine to 8.10 and the result is pretty
bad.  After the mandatory reboot the video went away and reseting or
powering off the box does not bring it back.  I then - perhaps
stupidly - switched to the VGA port on the video card (I was using
DVI) and once X started up the screen went blank and never came back
after a reboot.

Perhaps all the Xorg upgrades to reduce what is in the xorg.conf file
doesn't work very well yet and fried my video card.
That is a bit of a bummer.

So I am 1-1 with upgrades to "Ibex".  That's not very good.
Beware the Intrepid Ibex.  It looks like it needs a few more months of growth.
YMMV
Greg
--
To know recursion, you must first know recursion.