[SATLUG] OT - AT&T - DSL and Uverse

Zeb Fletcher zeb.fletcher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 11:13:21 CST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Sean I <siffland at nerdshack.com> wrote:

> I am finally fed up with time Warner, my bill keeps increasing and i
> call them every month and they take stuff off but it is getting old.
> I was thinking about DSL (yeah i know slower but still works).  There
> were a few guys here about 2 weeks ago peddling Uverse for at&t, said
> i was one of the only houses in the neighborhood that could get it
> (which i doubt but i played along).  I remember some people on this
> list shunning uverse and telling of the badness of it, could they
> reiterate on it so i have some more information.  If i do go to AT&T
> is it better to get the uverse stuff or straight DSL, or do i have a
> choice?  I would just like to hear from people who have it before i
> make a decision (this will effect my phone and cable too, when i leave
> a service i leave it all).  Of course the two blokes peddling the
> uverse were explaining to me how their 10GB fiber backbone was faster
> than roadrunner 15Gb backbone, made me wonder if i was just going
> crazy.......
>
> Sean

I love my U-verse but there are something you have to live with when you get
it. The first is that you only get 4 streams (2hd/2sd) This means you can
only watch or record 4 channels at any given time. If you have more than 4
televisions I wouldn't do it. The DSL is fine I have the middle tier and it
downloads just fine for my taste. I ran the speedtest.net just now and got
2827kb/s up and 931kb/s down.  Some of the things I really like is the whole
house DVR, This allows me to watch the DVR from any TV in the house and
doesn't count against your streams so if the wife is recording three things
and I'm watching the Spurs the kids can grab a movie off the DVR.

Zeb