[SATLUG] Distro for Firewall / Gateway Server

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 17 21:19:42 CST 2008

I understand why you wouldn't want to run anything else on the
firewall/gateway -- but I'm thinking that means running 2 separate
systems that would be used at only a fraction of their full potential,
not to mention the power needed, configuring & maintaining both systems,
etc.

I'm also not that keen on having to learn another OS -- I don't know
anything about any flavor of BSD.  I have my hands full trying to learn
& maintaining several Linux and Windows systems as it is.

But you did give me an idea -- maybe I could run the system as a live CD
burned with the configuration settings I would need, possibly on a CD-RW
so I can change things as time goes on.  It's still a question of which
build (if any) would be better to go with.

Al Lesmerises