[SATLUG] Distro for Firewall / Gateway Server

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 17 22:01:17 CST 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:19:42 -0600, Alan Lesmerises
<alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:

>But you did give me an idea -- maybe I could run the system as a live CD
>burned with the configuration settings I would need, possibly on a CD-RW
>so I can change things as time goes on.  It's still a question of which
>build (if any) would be better to go with.

DistroWatch has a saved [1]search of distros tagged as Firewall/Router, so
it's easy to scan the quick list, see which ones look interesting, and head
over to the project page to learn more.

I like to see a mature codebase with at least a few recent changes that
indicate an active community. A range of HOWTO documents, from simple
cookbook to code-level tweaks, is also a good sign. The beauty of open
source alternatives is that you can match the personality of the user to the
project, instead of conforming to the One True Answer from the ivory tower.

Personally I use a cheap home WiFi "router" (NAT box) rather than having
another system to maintain, but for a highly-visible public site I'm sure
the answer would be different.  --Don

[1] http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=firewalls

--
Enterprise software fault, warp core dumped.