[SATLUG] Distro for Firewall / Gateway Server

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Tue Nov 18 15:30:06 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Alan Lesmerises
<alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> If I wanted to setup a server to act as a dedicated firewall / gateway
> server, and to possibly run some home automation type stuff (think X-10
> appliances or similar), would there be any particular distro that would be
> better suited for that?  In other words, do any distros come already
> pre-packaged with the kinds apps that would support that sort of thing right
> out of the box?
>
> Al Lesmerises
> --

Go with monowall, I have it on my soekris 4801, works great.  you can
just download the CD and run it only any old thing laying around with
2 nics.  They are correct, my firewall gets port scanned all the time,
i would never run anything else on it...just imagine the impact when
someone hacked into it.  Of course someone remotely turning your
lights on and off would be sweet.......

sean