[SATLUG] Trying to understand UUID and grub

Charles Mims chmims at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 19:34:18 CST 2008

I am trying to understand UUID #.   I understand that it is a unique ID for
a device.
But unfortunately it seems to be able to change for partitions which seems
to be
causing problems with GRUB.   I have tried substituting /dev/sdx but that
doesn't
seem to be the solutions.   So I am trying to find out the UUID # for a
partition
so I can use that.    How ever I seem to be getting two different #'s .

#/sbin/blkid /dev/sdx gives me one UUID #.  Which does not seem to change
with
reformating the partition.  However!

#/sbin/vol_id /dev/sdx returns a different UUID # and that number changes if
the
partition is reformated.

My concern is that installing a different distro of Linux and lettting it
write a new
GRUB to the MBR seems to result in being unable to load the the previously
installed
distro.   Simply copying the old grub  config to the new doesn't seem to
work.

Charles