[SATLUG] Distro for Firewall / Gateway Server

toddwbucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Nov 19 20:21:00 CST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 16:15 -0600, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> If I wanted to setup a server to act as a dedicated firewall / gateway
> server, and to possibly run some home automation type stuff (think X-10
> appliances or similar), would there be any particular distro that would
> be better suited for that?  In other words, do any distros come already
> pre-packaged with the kinds apps that would support that sort of thing
> right out of the box?
>
> Al Lesmerises

If you are considering home automation there is really only one linux
disto (its not really a distro but an add on to Kubuntu) that is worth
checking out at this stage and that is LinuxMCE.  I am currently running
my television, media server (movies and music).  I have plans to hook up
my home lighting system, thermostat, and security system to it.  It also
can handle VOIP, although at this point neither skype or vonage is not
supported.

truth be told this is still beta software and can be cumbersome to set
up if you have raid requirements but so far I am very pleased with it.
Its also the only serious open-source competitor out there for Winblows
MCE.

Todd