[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 20:10:56 CST 2008

Starting back in August, many of you helped me with this problem.  This
post is only to close that question.  It turns out that a blind hog can,
eventually, find an acorn.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on a computer with an Asus mother board with VIA
K8M890 (Chrome 9) video.  After all else failed, I set out to use a VIA
Linux driver.  The first challenge was to pick the correct one; none of
the numbers exactly matched mine.  I finally downloaded
'Linux-FBDev-kernel-src_2.6.00.03a,' got the readme, picked the section
that seemed to apply, and started work. I got as far as
'/usr/src/drivers/video/via/Linux-FBDev-kernel-src_2.6.00.03a$' before I
got completely stuck and had to abandon the effort - I just didn't
understand what I was to do.

Then I set off to adopt a new video card, per Ed's suggestion, below.  I
opened my box and discovered the video  is integrated into the mother
board.  What to do?  I downloaded the mother board manual. No help
there. Before seeking your help, I thought to try rebuilding xorg.conf
using 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg.'  I restarted and, lo
and behold, I had 1024x768, just what I wanted.  I have no idea why.

Now, my Ubuntu is almost completely functional.  Thanks to all.

Andy Pickens