[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 1 15:29:54 CDT 2008

ed wrote:
> Actually, you need to find the driver that Windoze uses (mine uses
> bcmwl5), point your system to it, or even better, move a copy of it to a
> special directory, and wrap that using ndiswrapper.  THEN, the system
> should be able to find it using the restricted drivers applet.
> Otherwise, look at the MAN pages for ndiswrapper and follow their clues...
>
> I was thrilled by this concept, because it worked so well for my
> wireless.  I found the windows driver w/o trouble.  But, then I went
> to the manual:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/NdisWrapper_The_Ultimate_Guide/

and it says that ndiswrapper is specifically for wireless drivers.  Are
you sure it is safe to try?  I would hate to mess up my wireless, which
is working great.   Also, I don't understand "... restricted drivers
applet."  System>Administration>Hardware Drivers apparently provides a
route to implement restricted drivers, but my list is empty, and my
ndiswrapper installed driver doesn't appear there.

Thanks,

Andy Pickens