[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 1 20:25:02 CDT 2008

Othniel Graichen wrote:
> Andrew:
>
> In viewing this thread, most responders were concerned about your monitor.
> I think that you seem to have a decent monitor.  At least one that
> communicates back to the video card what its' name is and what its'
> capabilities are.
>
> WHAT KIND OF VIDEO CARD DO YOU HAVE?
>
> Find out.  If you really have to use the VESA mode on your card, then you
> are limited to VESA resolutions.
>
> Its time to replace at least your video card with something newer -- don't
> you think?  I'm not saying to go out and buy a new nvidia card for $150 but
> you can pick up a descent video card for $5-$10 at Goodwill or at a computer
> show.
>
> How much is it worth for you to solve this issue permanently?
> Othniel Graichen

I'll spend a few bucks if it will solve the problem.  I bought a new
wireless card when I couldn't get WiFi working, only to find out the
problem was that ndiswrapper wouldn't install a 32-bit driver in  64-bit
Ubuntu.

My computer was built in March 2007.  The video card is VIA K8M890
(Chrome 9) integrated video.  The monitor is Dell M780, an old CRT that
works fine.

Andy Pickens