[SATLUG] VOIP phones

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:09:18 CDT 2008

I've been using Vonage for over 4 years and I love it, but Vonage
really only makes sense if you have a cable internet connection.  You
can run it over DSL but the phone company is going to require you to
get a phone line and phone number in order to provide DSL service
(even though they technically don't need to provide dialtone), so
you'll just be paying double for phone service.

Some of the FiOS bundles are priced pretty competitively, but that all
depends if you want the whole shebang (TV, Internet, Phone) and if it
is available in your area.  Either way you go, you'll probably end up
paying $100/mo for all of it.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Cheryl Holmes <cherylholmes72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see what people are using and recommending too because I'm
> considering either getting a Cricket cell phone, (since I rarely travel out
> of my area) and perhaps Cricket high speed wireless access later instead of
> a landline myself...the pay as you go won't work for me because local calls
> would cost too.
>
> My friend David has been using Vonnage (sp?) and despite the company legal
> problems, he has awesome service with all the whistles and bells for
> $24.95/month.
>
> I'm doing a little reanalysis of my phone needs myself..I reassess things a
> few times annually...
>
> Thank you very much..cheryl

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay