[SATLUG] Re: VOIP phones (Tweeks)

George, Jason (San Antonio) Jason.George at valero.com
Mon Oct 13 13:52:33 CDT 2008

>From: Tweeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org>
>Subject: Re: [SATLUG] VOIP phones
>
>I'm also big on Vonage.. After their big legal flack (and their stock tanked),
>I even bought some stock... figuring that it could only go up.  Even in the
>current market, I'm not doing that bad..
>
>But about the technology and service.. I like it.. I have their never
>advertised $15/month (500minute) plan.  Even after taxes and any overages
>charges.. I still come in under $20/month!  Love it!  I run it over Time
>Warner RR ($20/month) and rarely have any probs.
>
>BTW.. If  you are relying on ANY digital phone though.. I would also recommend
>having a cell/mobile phone as a backup though.  If you lose power for a
>night/day, even and UPS will dies and leave you without phone communications.
>
>Tweeks

Hey Tom-

I'm curious as to what made you decide to use Vonage instead of another service provider.  From reviews I've read online, it sounds as if Vonage is pulling the same stunts telephone companies do- various fees, taxes, etc in addition to locked-in hardware.  $20 lasted me 3+ months @ SipPhone.com- no taxes or other "line" fees, only pay for the minutes I use.  I get buying the stock, though- potential for a great ROI. ~Jason