[SATLUG] OT: Network + VPN question

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Oct 15 23:19:48 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 02:25:38 pm twistedpickles wrote:
> I was wondering if maybe someone can give me some insight to a problem I am
> having.
>
> When I VPN into the office and I am on a local network with similar class
> range as the office i.e. Private Class A I have trouble accessing
> resources.

Make sure that your subnet is set tightly enough so that the traffic to the
office (afterstarting he VPN) will be sent to your gateway to access the
office machines.  For example.. if your home LAN is 192.168.0.x and your
office LAN is 192.168.16.x, but your netmask is set too loosely to
255.255.0.0, then traffic will never be directed to your gateway to MAKE it
to you office LAN.  Also.. check the output of "route" to ensure that your
VPN is setting up your route correctly to route to your tun: (or equiv)
virtual VPN interface.

I've found both issues to be to blame in poorly set up configs.. or even more
common.. that the home LAN and office LAN are using the SAME network and
traffic also never makes it off your LAN to the office LAN.  That can do
several strange things depending on your networking gear setup.

Anyone else seen this problem before?

Tweeks