[SATLUG] Re: How to connect to wifi access points in Linux

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 01:09:04 CDT 2008

K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
> Does anyone know how to connect to wifi access points in Linux. I use mostly Open Suse 11 and Ubuntu Hardy. Well I have both wifi radar and kwifimanager but I cannot see the access points when I visit Burger King or on campus at San Antonio College. I know that airport card in Mac OS X (iMAC) has no problem picking up the signal and my college amigos can do the same with Vista based notebooks. Wny does Mac and Windows seem to do wifi easy but Linux there is so much tweaking?
>
> Reggie B

I've had similar problems, and we discussed them in here a while ago,
but we never fully reached a resolution.  I use Ubuntu Hardy on my
laptop, and Wifi works just fine for me at home, at the LOCC, anywhere
-- /except/ at /any/ ACCD facility (Palo Alto campus, SAC campus, the
ATC).  I haven't tried at Burger King, but it works fine at McDonald's,
IHOP, and at Valvoline and Quick Lube sites.

Can we possible revive this topic and push for some answers?

Cheers;
Ed