[SATLUG] Troubleshooting Laptop Lockups

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 14:54:23 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I've got a problem with my laptop, and I'm looking for a little
guidance.  I've got a Gateway Solo5350 with 1.06 GHz processor, 1 GB
of RAM, and a 60GB hard drive.  It's currently dual boot with Windows
XP Home Edition, and Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy).  The problem is that the
laptop intermittently locks up in Ubuntu.  Usually, when I'm not doing
anything on the laptop, or waiting for updates to complete, or an
unattended process to finish.  I'll go back to check on the progress
and find the laptop locked up.  Nothing short of a powercycle fixes
the issue.  How can you troubleshoot something like this?  I know that
it can't be hardware because I can have the laptop booted into Windows
and it will run weeks on end with no lockups, but if booted into
Ubuntu, within hours it will wind up locked.

Ed