[SATLUG] Blocked ports on college campus

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Oct 21 13:25:06 CDT 2008

> Just recently St. Phillips only allows outgoing connections to
> destination ports 80 and 443 on their public wifi.  So that means no
> irc, no instant messaging, no email, and no SSH.  This can't be!  To my
> knowledge I only have 2 options, ssh or vpn.  I do have one remote
> server that has a free port 80 open so I can get ssh listening on that
> (to connect with ssh -D) or some kind of vpn software.  I am not sure
> which would be easier.  If I use vpn I would like to use ipsec but I
> don't have to.  I am also afraid that with vpn it would have to be tied
> in with the ip address on my laptop which might change subnets depending
> on which access point I am connected to at college.
>
> What do yall think?

Argue with the administrators and tell them why you need these ports open
and why it doesn't represent a threat to them to have them open. You
can also ask them to open them on a case-by-case basis, let's say just
to your computer or server. They cannot interfere with the mission of
the school, which is what they are doing if they restrict your ability
to do research. That would be my line of argument.

-b.