[SATLUG] Troubleshooting Laptop Lockups

Nate Turnage pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 22:27:57 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Charles Mims <chmims at gmail.com> wrote:

> When ever I turn on visual effect in Ubuntu it starts locking up on me.

I would say that a machine with these specs should really not be running
visual effects. I have an intermittent problem where the machine bogs down
and the screen dims while the machine sorts out the problem. Maybe you are
bogging the machine down and it never fully goes through that cycle. What
kinds of apps do you leave running? I would think that VMWare instances or
heck even npviewer (for rendering Flash movies) could be the problem.
IEs4Linux always bogs my machine down too. I have needed to restart after
it's gone haywire a few times.

I hope you figure it out.

~Nate