[SATLUG] Troubleshooting Laptop Lockups

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 07:20:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Nate Turnage <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Charles Mims <chmims at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When ever I turn on visual effect in Ubuntu it starts locking up on me.
>>

> I would say that a machine with these specs should really not be running
> visual effects. I have an intermittent problem where the machine bogs down
> and the screen dims while the machine sorts out the problem. Maybe you are
> bogging the machine down and it never fully goes through that cycle. What
> kinds of apps do you leave running? I would think that VMWare instances or
> heck even npviewer (for rendering Flash movies) could be the problem.
> IEs4Linux always bogs my machine down too. I have needed to restart after
> it's gone haywire a few times.
>
> I hope you figure it out.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I'll have to see if I can find a
few spare cycles to boot it up and check things out.  Yes, I do have
the Extra Visual Effects on, and they seem to work just fine, but I'll
turn them off and see if that's the underlying issue.  The only things
I usually have running is firefox so that I can check my mail in
Horde.  Sometimes OpenOffice.  It usually only locks up when it's
sitting unattended.

Ed